Monday, June 18, 2007

The Death Penalty

I have been opposed to the death penalty for quite some time, but Prison Break just reminded me about some of the reasons. However, I think the best, summative explanation for my position is explained by J.R.R. Tolkien (writing Gandalf's response to Frodo that Gollum deserves death):

Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”


In Prison Break, one of the main characters is framed as part of a vast conspiracy and is sentenced to die (so his brother has to break him out of prison). Okay, that's probably not going to happen too often. On a less paranoid note, the movie The Life of David Gale is also about the possibility of executing an innocent person. However, even if there were a way to verify guilt with 100% accuracy, I still would not be a supporter of the death penalty. A lot of that--probably most of that-- is because of my faith. It's odd to me that some of the strongest supporters of the death penalty are religious. My feeling is that if we truly believe in life after death, heaven, hell and eternity, we shouldn't be so hasty to send anyone into the afterlife. I don't want to be responsible for sending someone to hell, no matter what he's done. His eternity is between him and God. Moreover, I believe his life is in the hands of God. Yes, put him in prison without parole, but don't overstep your role.

Another argument for the death penalty is that it brings closure for the victims. (Well, if someone is on death row, he's probably killed most of his victims so we're probably talking about victims' families.) But does it really? I haven't seen the movie, but Dead Man Walking portrays the (mostly) true story of the execution of Robert Lee Willie. In addition to the gruesome rape and murder for which he was sentenced to death, Willie also kidnapped, tortured and raped Debbie Morris. Forgiving the Dead Man Walking is her story (which I have read). She herself is not for or against the death penalty. However, after her horrifying ordeal and countless court testimonies, she believed she would finally find closure and peace when Willie was executed. She did not. The peace she sought only came through a process of forgiveness-- not for his sake, but for her own. Now that's just one victim's perspective, but I would be surprised if others have also lacked a sense of closure even after the execution.

I know there are many more arguments for and against, but you're probably not that interested anyway. Just a few thoughts for today........

No comments: