Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Media Report

Well, I came home today to quite a disappointment. I got my Netflix Prison Break disc 3 out of the mailbox and popped it into the DVD player....only to discover that it was not disc 3 but disc 5. I can't watch 5 before 3. So...I called Netflix, and it turns out there was a glitch in making the DVDs. Even ones being sold at Barnes and Noble are also missing disc 3 (labeled as disc 3 but really disc 5...and disc 5 is also disc 5). So...I don't know when I'll get disc 3, and my Prison Break marathon has hit a snag (and the new season starts on Monday)! This is not good. I'm getting a free two month upgrade (to 4 discs at a time) from Netflix though.

Anyhow.....

*Movie: Knocked Up-- I didn't expect to like this, but I did. It's funny, quirky and surprisingly sweet. However, it very much earned its R-rating so be forewarned of excessive language, sex, nudity, drug use and just about everything else that might offend anyone. No violence though.

*CD: Lifehouse- Who We Are-- I bought this for myself a while ago and hid it, figuring I could discover it when I didn't have any money and needed a present. I recently found it, and I love it! I was not impressed by Lifehouse's previous release (a belated self-titled album), but this one is excellent. As with all of the good Lifehouse songs, these are catchy and thoughtful.

-First Time-- I've heard this single playing on the radio a lot, and it's also featured on a truck commercial. It's fun and upbeat, though it's certainly not one of my Lifehouse faves. It probably works better if you're in love at the time of listening.

-Disarray--This is the first song on the CD, and I like it a lot:
I’m struggling between the facts and fiction
I’m alone
But I'm alive
Everyone around me is trying to make a statement, then there's me
I’m just trying to survive
-The Joke-- This song is about suicide, and I find it very disturbing. I know it was written in response to a real tragedy in the band members' lives, but I'm torn between horrified and offended. I may need to write to Jason.

-Who We Are--The title track is another catchy one that will resonate with almost everyone.
Cause we break
And we burn
And we turn it inside out
To take it back
To the start
And through the rise and falling apart
We discover who we are
-Whatever It Takes-- Every half of a couple (husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, partner) should learn and memorize this song, take it to heart and be prepared to live it.

A strangled smile fell from your face
It kills me that I hurt you this way
The worst part is that I didn't even know
There's a million reasons for you to go
But if you can find a reason to stay

I'll do whatever it takes
To turn this around
I know what's at stake
I know that I've let you down
And if you give me a chance
Believe that I can change
I'll keep us together
Whatever it takes
-Broken--This is probably my favorite song on the CD, although I feel like something should be different (tempo or key). I'm wondering if they did this song at the 4th of July concert and played an alternate version. It's still great, though.
The broken clock is a comfort
It helps me sleep tonight
Maybe it can stop tomorrow
From stealing all my time
And I am here still waiting
Though I still have my doubts
I am damaged at best
Like you've already figured out

I'm falling apart
I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart
That's still beating
In the pain
There is healing
In your name
I find meaning
So I'm holding on (I'm holdin on)(I'm holdin on)
I'm barely holding on to you

There are other songs, including a stripped down, acoustic version of "The Storm" (which is beautiful but only when I'm in the mood for something s-l-o-w), but these are the ones I care to comment on at this time. ;)

Work is extremely busy, and I'm working way more hours that I'm getting paid to work. I'm hoping things will settle down in a month or so. Programs are shaping up nicely though so I can't complain.

No comments: