Monday, May 26, 2008

Entertainment Update

Movies

*Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull-- This is not a movie to inspire deep (or any) thought. However, it's a moderately enjoyable action movie that will likely serve its probable purpose-- acting as a bridge from the Indiana Jones franchise to the Son of Indiana Jones franchise.

*Prince Caspian-- Although I did not like this movie as much as The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, I still thought it was pretty good. There are a lot of changes from the book though, some understandable (such as beginning the movie with the birth of Miraz's son) and some not. For instance, take this quote from Aslan to Lucy:
Movie: "Every year you grow, so will I."
Book: "Every year you grow, you will find me bigger."
At first blush, the statements seem the same, but on deeper analysis, the intent is quite different. This is an example of inexplicably changing dialog from a book...when the original would have fit just as well and conveyed the true meaning more accurately.

I also felt that the movie could have been shorter. Some of the sword fighting seemed to drag on a bit. Despite those qualms, I feel that the movie still conveys at least one of the themes of the book-- that God has not abandoned us even when life is difficult. Now I know a lot of people don't want to take the book in that allegorical context, and that's fine. However, C.S. Lewis was rather clear about the Chronicles of Narnia and the values he hoped to convey. Authors-- even authors of contemporary fiction-- are necessarily architects of their own world. The creation and structure of these worlds always betrays their world view. Some authors are just more explicit about it than others.

*Juno--I just watched this on DVD and found it immensely enjoyable. It has the right mix of sweetness, humor and seriousness that is rather hard to come by.

*God Grew Tired of Us-- This is another documentary about the Lost Boys of Sudan. It's really depressing. I may comment on it more later.

TV


*Dexter Season One-- I like this show a lot. Although Dexter's personality is psychologically improbable (those traits would not co-exist within the same person), it's an interesting show that reminds me of both CSI and The Pretender. I think people relate to Dexter because his greatest dilemma is that no one really knows who he is...and if they did, they would reject him. Even though (most of us) are not going around killing people, we tend to think the same thing.


Books

*I Speak for This Child-- I'm in the middle of reading this nonfiction account of a Guardian Ad Litem (aka Court Appointed Special Advocate). It's compelling, if not particularly hopeful.

*The Time Traveler's Wife-- I am almost exactly in the middle of this book. I really like it. I may say more when I finish.

*Wicked-- I'm listening to this on audio book in the car. It's very different than I expected and the "feel" reminds me a bit of the Canterbury Tales, for some odd reason. I think it's the bawdiness. Anyway, it's interesting and keeps my attention...but I wouldn't say I actually like it. Partly, I don't find the characters very likable. Maybe the second half will change my opinion.

All for now....

No comments: